Reasons to be part of Gower Men's Club:
Opportunities to give service to the Church
Opportunities to help the community
A feeling of belonging
A good feeling of accomplishment
Informative guest speakers
Good hearty meals!
The Gower Archives first refers to the Men's Club in 1945, with
Rupert Bartlett as the president. The first Club Annual Report does not appear until 1953. During that year the Club provided transportation to church for residents of the Girl's Home and the Institute for the Blind.
Other interesting tidbits through the years:
1955 - first mention of flipper dinners and bean suppers as fund raisers
1958 - average attendance drops to 45 - there is a reduced charge for meals to attract membership!
1960 - the club erects the bronze plaque to the right of the main exterior doors as you enter the church.
1971 - the Fall Auction is mentioned for the first time.
1978 - the men pledge to repair the roof of the Memorial Building
1985 - Kitchen renovations started (a joint project with the UCW)
1989 - Lecture Hall renovations begun
1992 - transportation services provided to the Seniors Club
1995 - pledges to support congregational upgrades to make Gower accessible: wheel-chair ramps, accessible washrooms, a lift.